Legacies and Trusts Fundraising Officer
The Legacies and Trusts Fundraising Officer role is essential to delivering the charity’s fundraising priorities and achieving its financial targets.
- Title: Legacies and Trusts Fundraising Officer
- Responsible to: Private Fundraising Manager
- Hours: Full time or part time (4-days)
- Salary: £21,000 – £24,000 (depending on experience)
- Location: Liverpool
The role will work as part of the private fundraising team to deliver income targets from all Legacies and Trusts.
The role is responsible for:
- Growing the charity’s Legacy and Trust income by managing the legacy pipeline, promoting our Free Will service and by building a portfolio of new trusts (large and small) by creating a pipeline and making successful applications.
- Building good relationships with all stakeholders, including new funders and managing existing funders with regular reporting, as required.
Position in Organisation
- Reports to the Fundraising Manager (Private Fundraising)
- Liaises at all levels inside the organisation
- Relates to volunteers, individuals, trusts and legacies
- Key relationships with fundraising, marketing, IT, LCISS, Retail and admin teams
- Will liaise with external agencies, where necessary
Scope of Role
- Assist the Head of Private fundraising with planning a strategy and budgeting for the Legacy and Trusts including monitoring the income and expenditure budgets on a monthly basis, making contingencies and plans for variations against target.
- Delivering on fundraising priorities and growth targets for Legacy and Trusts income
- Researching, identifying and prioritising appropriate trusts and creating strong cases for support to create effective applications
- Researching, identifying and prioritising opportunities to talk to Patient groups and the general public about the importance of legacies and promote our Free Will scheme.
- Creating and converting a pipeline of new, prospective trusts and foundations
- Maintain the legacy pipeline spreadsheet and schedule regular chases.
- Writing and submitting high-quality, targeted funding applications
- Communicate with Lay Executors, solicitors about ongoing legacy cases
- Communicate with staff, members of the public and patients to answer questions about the Free Will service
- Maintain the records of the Free Will service and maintain a relationship with the provider
- Maintaining an effective stewardship programme for trusts and foundations
- Manage the relationships with existing and new funders to encourage multi-year deals and repeat funding.
- Monitoring outcomes and producing timely reports and information as required by trusts and foundations
- Working with colleagues across the organisation to help shape projects for funding
- Establishing and maintaining routines and the mechanism for keeping track of trusts and foundations and the relationship the charity has with them, both internally and externally.
- Identify new sectors/markets for trust and foundation fundraising.
- Adhere to the highest standards of fundraising best practice as set out in the Institute of Fundraising’s Codes of Practice and ensure that all activities comply fully with the relevant Data Protection obligations and any other legislation.
- Any other duty as required by the line manager commensurate with the post
Education / qualifications / knowledge
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent standard
- Knowledge of trends within fundraising across the charity sector
- Knowledge of data protection
- Knowledge of trusts and foundations charity law
- Knowledge of Estate planning
- Proven track record in achieving and exceeding financial targets in trust and foundation fundraising and/or legacies
- Experience of developing proposals, including narrative and budgets, in line with organisational funding needs
- Experience of customer care
- Experience of engaging with trustees from trusts and foundations
- Experience of dealing with solicitors
- Experience of project management
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Good understanding of the various steps/dates in the trusts and foundations funding cycle
- Good understanding of the importance of Legacies to charities and legislation around Estate planning.
- An imaginative, creative, solution based thinker
- Highly efficient with a high level of attention to detail for record keeping/data management
- The ability to spot emerging trends and capitalise on them
- The ability to influence at all levels
- Ability to work well across teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a busy fundraising environment
- A flexible communication style, in order to find the right tone to engage with our supporters, prospects and key stakeholders
- Able to analyse information and make objective decisions based on the outcomes
- Self–starter: highly organised with an ability to work systematically to targets and deadlines and able to work under pressure
- Ability to work on own initiative and to prioritise workloads without direct supervision
- Driven to succeed and innovative
- Performance and target driven
- Able to work on own initiative
- Able to show empathy for people or families living with lung cancer or bereaved
Benefits package includes:
- 30 days holiday each year, plus bank holidays
- Bike Scheme
- Childcare Voucher Scheme
- Early finish on Fridays
- Pension Scheme
- Based in Head Office in Liverpool city centre.